Essential Oils Recipes For Sore Throat Relief
1. Melaleuca ( Tea tree) essential oil recipe for sore throat
A blend of the essential oil of melaleuca and water can be used to treat many problems of the throat including sore throat. Pour water into a large saucepan and bring to boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add 5-6 drops of melaleuca oil. Put a towel over your head and bend over the pan. Be careful not to get too close to the steam to avoid possible burns.
Inhale the steam for about 5 to 10 minutes each night before bed. Repeat this procedure until the symptoms disappear. If symptoms persist for 5 days or more, get in touch with your doctor.
2. Ginger essential oil recipe for sore throat
- 2-3 drops of ginger oil (ginger is an expectorant, which means that it works to loosen and remove mucus in the airway)
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- 8 ounces of hot water
- Some cayenne pepper
Combine the ginger oil with raw honey and then add hot water to it. Thereafter, add a little amount of cayenne pepper to the mixture. Gargle with this blend every 2-3 hours.
3. Essential oil recipe for runny nose and sore throat
For nasal blockages, use the essential oils of peppermint, lavender or any citrus oil such as lemon, orange or grapefruit in a diffuser.
Use 5-10 drops of the essential oil.
Another recipe you can use for sore throat accompanied with runny nose can be prepared with the use of essential oil of peppermint. Just take a drop of essential oil of peppermint with your index finger and rub the oil at the bottom of the tongue. Repeat this every 2-3 hours until the symptoms disappear. Only use edible grade therapeutic grade essential oils internally. Contact a health care professional if the pain persists.
4. Essential oil recipe for sore throat accompanied with earache
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 drops of essential oil of Melaleuca
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
Mix the above oils thoroughly and apply lightly around the ears at the first indication of an earache. You can rely on this recipe for quick relief.
5. Essential oil recipes for sore throat accompanied with fever
Put a spoonful of carrier oils such as olive, coconut or almond in a small bowl before adding 3 drops of essential oil of peppermint. Apply the blend to your neck and bottom of feet.
Expect the fever to go down by a couple of degrees in about an hour to a comfortable level; repeat as needed. Remember that this recipe will not eliminate the fever, but will provide some relief. In conjunction with this recipe, use any of the recipes for sore throat recommended in this article.
6. Recipes for sore throat accompanied with muscle pains
- 2 drops of essential oil of cedarwood
- 2 drops of essential oil of melaleuca
- 1 tsp of almond oil
On your palm, blend 2 drops each of the essential oil of cedarwood and tea tree with 1 tsp of almond oil. Massage the neck 2-3 times a day for quick relief in both sore throat and the muscle pains.
Few Other Good Recipes For Sore Throat Treatment
1. Simple steam inhalation
- 2 drop of thyme essential oil
- 3 drops of chamomile essential oil
- 4 drops of lavender essential oil
Mix the above essential oils in a bowl of boiling water and inhale keeping a towel on your head and bending over the bowl. Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
2. Cedarwood relaxing massage
- 2 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite massage oil
Blend the massage oil with the essential oil of cedarwood and massage your throat 2-3 times in a day.
3. Essential oil tea for sore throat
- 1 tsp of pure honey
- 1 bag of tea (chamomile is recommended, but any will do)
- 1 drop of essential oil of peppermint
Add a drop of essential oil of peppermint to the tea bag you are using. Brew your tea as usual and stir in 1 tablespoon of honey. Voila!
4. Essential oil mouthwash for sore throat
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 drops each of sage, geranium and lavender essential oil
- 1 cup of lukewarm water
In a drinking glass, add 1 to 2 drops each of the above mentioned essential oils before adding half teaspoon of sea salt into it. Thereafter, add 1 cup of lukewarm water. Rinse your mouth with this blend several times in a day, taking care not to ingest the mixture. You can expect quick relief with this recipe.
5. A simple massage recipe
- 3 drops of chamomile
- 2 drops of lemon juice
- 2 drops of essential oil of thyme
- 1 tbsp of carrier oil (almond or olive)
Blend the above ingredients carefully and massage over your throat and neck. You can also apply this blend on your feet before wearing your socks.
6. Common sore throat rub
Add 5 to 10 drops of essential oil in 2 tablespoons of carrier oil. Rub this blend on your neck, chest and behind the ears for sore throat relief.
Prevention And Precaution To Take When Experiencing A Sore Throat
- After getting rid of your sore throat, make sure that you change your toothbrush. The bristles of the toothbrush can harbour bacteria.
- Do not share cutlery and drinks with others.
- Avoid touching your nose or mouth when using public telephones or taps.
- If you live in a polluted area, stay indoors as much as possible on days when pollution is really bad.
- Avoid alcohol and stay away from smoke.
- Consider the use of a humidifier in your house.
- Build your system’s natural defenses, reduce your anxiety levels, eat healthy and get lots of rest.